Monday, September 29, 2008

So much going on....

There are so many things I wanted to tell you all about that I don't know where to start....



I guess I will start with a silly story. I must preface it by saying that Pastor Frank and Cecilia arrived Wednesday evening and we are having a great visit with them.



Today the two of them went to the MFI concert, which is held at a hotel, so they will stay there for a few nights. The kids and I took them there today, and on our way Son fell asleep. So, as Pastor Frank is inside registering, Cecilia and us were waiting in the car. I see Cecilia swat at something, and I asked "Is there a bug?" She said "yes" A few seconds later, Daughter says "Mom, there's a bug back here. Mom, there's a really big bug back here!" I open the slide door, and a small flying bug goes out. As it does,Daughter makes a very paniced whiney sound. Cecilia just busts out laughing. She says, "that tiny bug. In Africa big bugs (using hand motions to make her point)!" Daughter's eyes get real big and she says, very seriously, "I do not like bugs!" Oh, what an adventure she is going to have!!!


Last Sunday our church took a special offering for us. We want to say THANK YOU!!! We are so proud of our church family. PHC...we love you, and thank you. Thank you, also to all of you who have been supporting us. We praise God and thank Him for you.


We have been working with two numbers of what we need to raise. $11,000 is for our trip, for which all donations have been going. It covers the airfare, travel insurance, expenses while in ghana, visas, passports, etc... We are almost there. We have $3077.00 left to go!!

The second number is what we need personally to cover our regular living expenses while we are gone. Funny, the landlord wants the rent if you're home or not! :-) Jody has been working alot of extra hours, and I have been cleaning as many apartments as come my way. We have $3547.00 left to go. Last year, Jody was able to pick up alot of extra work during the fall months, so we are praying for a repeat year.



We purchased our tickets this week!!! WOW what a good feeling!!! With Frank here we were able to sit down and find some dates that work for both of us and have a good fare with only one connection. So, our dates will be: January 8, 2009 to March 5, 2009. We fly directly to Amsterdam (10 hour flight!) and then to Accra (7 hour flight). Then it's a 4 hour bus ride to Kumasi. BUT for the sake of our babies, we're going to say the night in Accra and save the drive for the morning.


I am really getting excited. We are about to begin a new chapter. It is so awesome. We don't know what the future holds (I mean, do we ever??), but just knowing that we are moving forward is indescribably awesome.


We have been spending alot of time talking about the Canaan Life Project with Frank. CLP has been in his heart for many years. We have been praying with him about it for the past two. The more we talk about it the more I see his heart, and the more excited I get about it. It is very practical. It is discipleship. It is seeing past the moments when the fire God falls into the everyday challenges; it marries the two.

Jesus came to preach the good news to the poor. Salvation is the ultimate free gift. But we are whole persons, and Jesus cares about our whole life. He cares if we can feed our families. He wants us to prosper, and have a good life. Canaan Life seeks to teach people how to live for Him in all areas of life. To honor God with your work, your money, your relationships.

I want to see the fire fall. I love to see God move powerfully. I love to see people radically saved and set free. I love to see poeple healed. But, and the same time, I really love to see people disciples. That is the great commission. Duplicate yourself; multiply. AMEN!!


OK, changing the subject now, we are trying to sell our van. It is a good van, but we don't want a payment anymore. So, if you know anyone interested, let me know. Same goes for handyman and cleaning work. If you know anyone looking, send them our way. And, just a reminder, with the holidays coming, if you plan to buy anything of amazon.com, go to our website first. http://www.afnministries.org/ and click on the link to amazon. We get a referral fee each time you buy via our website.

No comments: