Friday, November 12, 2010

Poverty All Around.

I have personal opinions regarding illegal immigration and what this country should do about it. However, as I drove across the boarder into Mexico yesterday, I understood why so many would do whatever it takes to come into our country. I knew that Mexico was a poorer nation, but I didn't realize how poor.

My expectations prior to going to Mexico was that it would be comparable to the poorer parts of LA. Jody and I joked about the possibilities of it looking just like SE Portland! :-) I was surprised to find that the conditions were much worse than what I imagined.

My only other point of reference to extreme poverty is West Africa. If, in regards to poverty, Ghana was a 10 and America was a 1, I would put Mexico at a 7. The contrasts between El Paso, and Juarez, which are only minutes apart, is night and day.

As a mother, if I were living in a home with spotty electricity and water that had to be trucked in, and could see the America skyline, I know I would do everything within my power to get there and make a better life for my children.

Juarez is a city of 2 million people. A few years ago it was 2.5 million, but many have left because of the violence. This city needs Jesus. The people are losing hope, and need the Hope that comes from the sacrifice made on the cross.

We are working with missionaries from around the world who have come to Juarez to see this city changed for Jesus. In the mix are Americans, British, Italians, and Canadians. Their hearts are broken for Juarez, and they are standing in the gap interceding for this city and Nation.

A few weeks before we arrived, a team from IHOP came here, and spent a week interceding specifically for Juarez. We are praying that we will be able to reap what they sowed in the spirit.

Beginning tonight through Sunday, we will be helping with nightly crusades. We are expecting great things.

Kids update: My kids are amazing. They are flexible, adaptable, and share the love of Jesus in their own way. It took them no time to jump in. They helped set up the chairs in the tent and played with the local kids. Son even took initiative to learn some Spanish words, so he could talk to the children.

Last night, we went to a missionary families home. They have a 5 year old boy, and my son was in heaven. They had a great time playing together.

Daughter is enjoying being apart of the team. She took time yesterday to pray over each chair in the tent. She can't wait to be able to minister to the kids through face painting later this week.

I want to encourage you all, there are hurting people around the world, everywhere you look someone needs Jesus. What are your passions? Are you interested in a specific ethnicity or people group? God has given you those desires for a reason, look around, and find where you can share the Good News locally and where you can help share it Globally.

We are packing up now to head back into Juarez where we will remain for the rest of the week.

Be blessed!!

No comments: